Thursday 19 November 2009

Starting up in business

If you've started up in business for yourself in the last 18 months or so, you will be facing completing what is possibly your first self-assessment tax return.

Appointing an accountant to help get the return completed correctly will normally prove a shrewd investment, as the accountant will be able to advise you on what is and what is not claimable, more than likely make suggestions for improving the profitability of your business, and of course manage all the deadlines so it doesn't all become a last minute rush.

I've just got a painter/decorator in to do my hallway/landing - and yes here I reel out the well worn cliche in the small business world - but there is a huge amount of fact in that as much as I'd like to think I could do the job myself, I know that if I attempted it, it would take me an age (read months), during which I could earn more by working at what I'm good at (yes, read tax returns). Most importantly, the end result will be 10x better (at least it better be haha). With ever-changing tax legislation, the modest outlay on a good accountant who you get on with can only be money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment